Daily Lectionary Readings for Thursday 2 November 2006
You'll find the list of passages below and a couple of those passages (so this post won't be so long). You can find the entire set of passages on one web page at http://www.pcusa.org/cgi-bin/lectiond.cgi, or use the link on the right-hand side of this page called: PC(USA) - Daily Lectionary.
Daily Lectionary Readings for Thursday 2 November 2006
DAILY LECTIONARY:
Morning: Psalm 116:1-19
Nahum 1:15-2:12
Revelation 12:7-17
Luke 11:53-12:12
Evening: Psalm 26:1-12
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning: Psalm 116:1-19
[1] I love the LORD, because he has heard
my voice and my supplications.
[2] Because he inclined his ear to me,
therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
[3] The snares of death encompassed me;
the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me;
I suffered distress and anguish.
[4] Then I called on the name of the LORD:
"O LORD, I pray, save my life!"
[5] Gracious is the LORD, and righteous;
our God is merciful.
[6] The LORD protects the simple;
when I was brought low, he saved me.
[7] Return, O my soul, to your rest,
for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.
[8] For you have delivered my soul from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling.
[9] I walk before the LORD
in the land of the living.
[10] I kept my faith, even when I said,
"I am greatly afflicted";
[11] I said in my consternation,
"Everyone is a liar."
[12] What shall I return to the LORD
for all his bounty to me?
[13] I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the LORD,
[14] I will pay my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people.
[15] Precious in the sight of the LORD
is the death of his faithful ones.
[16] O LORD, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the child of your serving girl.
You have loosed my bonds.
[17] I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice
and call on the name of the LORD.
[18] I will pay my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people,
[19] in the courts of the house of the LORD,
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise the LORD!
Luke 11:53-12:12
[53] When he went outside, the scribes and the Pharisees began to
be very hostile toward him and to cross-examine him about many
things, [54] lying in wait for him, to catch him in something he
might say.
[12:1] Meanwhile, when the crowd gathered by the thousands, so that
they trampled on one another, he began to speak first to his
disciples, "Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees, that is, their hypocrisy. [2] Nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered,
and nothing secret that will not become known. [3] Therefore
whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light,
and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be proclaimed
from the housetops.
[4] "I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body,
and after that can do nothing more. [5] But I will warn you whom
to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast
into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! [6] Are not five sparrows
sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God’s
sight. [7] But even the hairs of your head are all counted. Do not
be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.
[8] "And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others,
the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God; [9]
but whoever denies me before others will be denied before the
angels of God. [10] 1And everyone who speaks a word against the
Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever blasphemes against the
Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. [11] When they bring you before
the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, do not worry about
how you are to defend yourselves or what you are to say; [12] for
the Holy Spirit will teach you at that very hour what you ought to
say."

3 Comments:
I think this is okay, but it might still be too much text. Let me know what you all think.
rpv
Yeah, I think perhaps providing some "teaser" from the passages might work best. I'll try to figure that out with tomorrow's readings.
rpv
"Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees, that is, their hypocrisy. [2] Nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered,
and nothing secret that will not become known. [3] Therefore
whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light,
and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be proclaimed
from the housetops.
I'm struck by Jesus' intensity here. He really seems interested in "the TRUTH" in this passage and I'm fascinated by the places where I can see Jesus being the "tell-the-truth-no-matter-the-cost" guy. An islamic grad student who was working for me when 9/11 happened told me that's "who Jesus is" to muslims. That really sticks with me as a model for living.
Because I know I fall down on the job by that measure, I'm always thinking about places in my life where my own sacrifice in that regard would help others. The hard part for me is the imposition of my "opinion" on other people's choices and I find it hard to really live by Jesus' example in truth-telling when it may come off as "all about me." I wonder how Jesus felt about that?
Having authority directly from God must be pretty useful in that regard.
rpv
Post a Comment
<< Home